May 7, 2005

Musical Impressions of a Saturday at the library

John Denver, Rocky Mountain High
What a way to start my workday! This must be a regional thing; I never hear John Denver on the radio outside of Colorado.
Jimi Hendrix, Foxey Lady
The Pit, Carroll College. Constantly played on the jukebox, along with The Clash's London Calling. I hated it then, but not hearing it 5 times a day has caused it to grow on me.
Blind Boys of Alabama, (Jesus Hits Like the) Atom Bomb
OK, I can see why these guys got a Grammy nomination. This song is funny and rockin' gospel.
The Jackson 5, Got to Be There
Remember when Michael Jackson was a heartthrob for 10-year-old girls and that was OK? Remember when he had a high voice and that was normal? Great song. Lotsa wasted talent.
Quincy Jones, One Hundred Ways
I always forget Quincy Jones is a singer. This is a good "romantic mood" song that doesn't make me giggle with its stupidity and obviousness.
Prince, Baby I’m a Star
Too bad I don't have big speakers in my cube. Too bad I can't dance at work.
There's not a bad song on this soundtrack.
I will never forget the lights coming up at the end of this movie and staring, stunned, at my college roommate who was staring, stunned, back at me. And she didn't even like Prince! Yes, it's campy and silly in parts (not necessarily the intentionally silly parts, either), but oh my!! I should see if we have the DVD in our collection here at the library.
Brian Setzer & Gwen Stefani, You’re the Boss
Great swing song from his "Dirty Boogie" disc, the title of which always reminds me of one of our former pages and his high school band's song "Dirty Steve." Totally different kind of song...
But yeah, cute song.
U2, New Year’s Day
Why do I love this song? It's one of the first U2 songs I ever heard. It's on an album (yes, an album) I bought through the Columbia Record Club because it was recorded at Red Rocks. Bono was cute, and so was Edge. [Not that they aren't now, but they're getting a little old to be 'cute.'] I think this is on their playlist for Monday night, too. Why would I not love this song?
Ritchie Valens, La Bamba
Funny. Funny. Funny. Good to dance to, too, but not-so-much at work. For some reason I always think of Jenny--from college--when I hear this, although I'm more familiar with Los Lobos' version.
Gordon Lightfoot, If You Could Read My Mind
"Hello. Welcome to the 70s. Sit down, have a line of coke and rest up from your night at Studio 54. Try to impress the smart chicks by listening to Gordon Lightfoot."
“Camelot” Soundtrack, How to Handle a Woman
How? How, indeed. Richard Burton can't sing, but he (and Lerner & Lowe) are right: Love her. Simply love her."
“Ghostbusters” Soundtrack, Ghostbusters
"Human sacrifice, dogs and cats living together - mass hysteria."
"We've been going about this all wrong, this Mr. Stay Puft's okay, he's a sailor, he's in New York, we get this guy laid we won't have any trouble."
"We came, we saw, we kicked its ass."
None of those quotes are in the song, but it brings it all back as soon as I hear the first notes.
John Mellencamp, Ain’t Even Done With the Night
Can't go wrong with Mellencamp. Just not possible.
Billy Joel, She’s Always a Woman
...or Billy Joel. Sigh. I had such the crush on this guy, till he released "Glass Houses" which was either really lame or over my head.
Still like his music though.
Donna Lewis, I Love You Always Forever
Silly silly song. Good for chair dancing, however.
Norah Jones, Feels Like Home
Whew. This chick has pipes. Great lyrics. Wow wowwow.
Joan Osborne, Pensacola
OK, name another song about trying to find your long-departed father, who ends up being a nutcase living in a trailer and still keeps in touch with all the blood he's donated to support himself?
Wouldn't a Joan Osborne/Janis Joplin/Melissa Etheridge concert kill??
Jewel, Who Will Save Your Soul
I know her rep is pretty flaky, but I like this song because it's not trying to be something it isn't. It's just a nice, clean folky-rocky song sung by an earnest girl with a nice voice.
The Temptations, My Girl
Before McCauley Culkin, this song was a 100 on the Dick Clark/AB scale. It's still up there. I can't imagine a girl who wouldn't want have this sung to her.
Woody Herman, Woodchopper’s Ball
And now, hitting the oldies for sure, from the distant past: the 40s.
Shania Twain, Come On Over
Hey, I like Shania's overproduced songs on this album. At least the fast ones (the slow ones are drippy). So sue me. Good beat, easy to sing along with--I give it an 85. Not brain surgery, but what do you expect on top-40 radio??
Prince, Darling Nikki
Probably not the best song to listen to while trying to work. Makes it very hard to type accurately.
Sound of Blackness, Strange Fruit
If you've never heard this song, I'd recommend either Lena Horne's version or Nina Simone's. If you have, this one is creepily different. And serious. I mean, the subject matter precludes any boppiness. The wind in the background of the a capella singer is just....perfect.
Tobymac, Momentum
Christian rap, a la Eminem. Who'da thunk. I'll be looking for this CD for Sparky.
Howard Jones, Things Can Only Get Better (2001 version)
I like this song, have the original CD it came on (one of the first CDs I ever bought, still playable these 20 years later!). This version is an interesting hybrid of sounds, rock to salsa, that somehow works ok.
Everly Brothers, All I Have to Do is Dream
Hi Laura. Were you snowing me when you insisted you were related to these guys? Even if you were, I always think of you when I hear this song.
It's a great song for those teenage years when you think no one will ever love you.
The Beautiful South, Song for Whoever
Think Housemartins. Amusing song, full of women's names, covering all bases. I'll have to listen to more by these guys.
Charlotte Church, The Holy City
Sounding very young and surprisingly un-vocally-trained--not because she was so well trained, but that I'd never heard how shaky her voice is in this song before. Still, it's a lovely song, and a fair recording.
Rachid Taha, Baadini
This is just weird: sort of Middle East meets Spanish; is he singing in Portuguese? Or Arabic? Somehow it's very compelling. I'd like to hear more of him.
Derek & the Dominoes, Layla
Ahhh, one of the all-time great sex songs. I have warm feelings for Eric Clapton, first engendered when I read that Paul McCartney stole his girlfriend from him in the 60s. I can't explain it, I just like the man; he seems like a decent guy a bit shocked and distressed by where his life has led him.
The Chieftains, Up Against The Buachalawns
Yeah, I like Irish music. I love bagpipes. Will someone please make sure there is at least one piper playing at my funeral? There: I've given you plenty of warning. I hope. Oh, and NOT Amazing Grace. Sing it, but not on the bagpipe; very hackneyed.
Ike & Tina Turner, I've Been Loving You Too Long
Yeah, Tina, you sure have been. Thank God you came to your senses. Yo, Ike, shuddup.
John Mellencamp, The Authority Song
Crank the volume up, crank the car window down, sing along. Guaranteed to help you hate your life much less than before hearing it. I absolutely LOVE the video for this song. That kid is probably close to 30 years old, but I just think the jamming up of the sleeves is so classic.
U2, One
THE. BEST. LOVE. SONG. 'nuf said.
Passion Worship Band, Famous One
Good praise song. Will have to suggest this to the River of Praise folks. Also a potential purchase, for myself.
Don Carlos, Blowin' in the Wind Dub
Simon & Garfunkel/Bob Dylan reggae-style. Hmmm. Weird, but, again, compelling.

Yes, it's true, I have stange taste in music.
It's also true that I love Launchcast.
And I even got some work done today!

No comments:

Post a Comment